Donaldsonvile, La. - Ascension Public Schools announces the 2017-18 Students of the Year for fifth, eighth and twelfth grades. These outstanding students will be recognized at the Jan. 16, 2018, Ascension Parish School Board meeting, and the district winners will be named at that time.
"We are very proud of the work of these young ladies and young men. To be honored by their respective schools, they must meet rigorous academic criteria as well as display leadership outside of the classroom. We look forward to honoring their achievements in January," said Ascension Public Schools Superintendent David Alexander.
FIFTH GRADE STUDENTS OF THE YEAR
- Claire Michelle Delaney, Central Primary School
- Oliva Gabriela Puccio, Duplessis Primary School
- Caleb Ethan Barrow, Dutchtown Primary School
- Michael Anthony Wilson, Jr., G.W. Carver Primary School
- Carlyle Elise Runfalo, Galvez Primary School
- Brooklyn Elise Battle, Gonzales Primary School
- Jillian Grace Martin, Lake Elementary School
- Ava Leigh Vicknair, Lakeside Primary School
- Gavin Khristopher Mitchell, Lowery Elementary School
- Jadyn Ann Weatherly, Oak Grove Primary School
- Christian Leann Burnett, Pecan Grove Primary School
- Demi Marie Dubois, Prairieville Primary School
- Ryleigh Renee Moran, Sorrento Primary School
- Addison Rae Heinz, Spanish Lake Primary School
- Kate Madison Rizzo, St. Amant Primary School
EIGHTH GRADE STUDENTS OF THE YEAR
- Alicia Jane Stanga, Central Middle School
- Alexis Michel Logarbo, Dutchtown Middle School
- Jacie Nicole Jacob, Gavlez Middle School
- Caris B. Green, Gonzales Middle School
- Kylie Anna Trosclair, Lake Elementary School
- Donalynn Alayshia Daniels, Lowery Middle School
- Matthew Corzo Lass, Prairieville Middle School
- Mya Chrisie Bascom, St. Amant Middle School
TWELFTH GRADE STUDENTS OF THE YEAR
- Brittany Rochelle Collins, Donaldsonville High School
- Christina Marie Robertson, Dutchtown High School
- Lauren Elizabeth Michelli, East Ascension High School
- Travis Daniel Braud, St. Amant High School
In order to be considered for the Student of the Year process, students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2. The school level coordinator submits all students in fifth, eighth, and twelfth grades who meet the initial criteria. Teachers then vote for students on the list based on the child’s academics, behavior and leadership qualities. The coordinator then chooses the students with the top votes to enter the actual school level competition. A small committee of school staff is assembled to score students based on test scores, grades and an interview. The student with the highest committee score is named the school’s Student of the Year.
Those students are now eligible to compete at the district level. The students have to submit a biographical sketch, writing sample, portfolio of their accomplishments and be interviewed by members of the the Ascension Parish community who volunteer as judges. District level primary, middle, and high winners will be named at the school board meeting on Tuesday, January 16, 2018. The district winners will be entered in the regional competition, which will occur in February. Winners from the regional competition will be named in March.
For more information about Ascension Public Schools, visit www.apsb.org.