February 26, 2016
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This will be my last message to you as your superintendent. As many of you know, I have accepted a position as President of the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching (NIET), and Monday will be my final day in Ascension Public Schools after 39 wonderful years.
I have enjoyed every minute of those 39 years as a teacher, assistant principal, principal, director, assistant superintendent and superintendent. I have had the extraordinary opportunity to watch our students grow into successful professionals, many of whom have stayed to work in Ascension Parish. And, it has been an honor to work alongside dedicated educators who have achieved a collective vision of every child successful in an ever-changing world
In my final days of service as your superintendent, I would like to acknowledge the extraordinary gains Ascension Public Schools has made over the last six years as outlined in our 2016 Report to the Community
- We are an A-rated school district for the fourth consecutive year and are ranked fourth in the state;
- In the last five years we have increased A and B rated schools by seven, decreased C and D rated schools by three and eliminated all F school ratings;
- Our high schools are tied for first in the state in end of course exams;
- Our students surpassed their state peers at every grade level on the new state assessments; and
- Our graduation rate exceeds both the state and national averages.
As your superintendent, it has been my privilege to celebrate these successes and more, but it truly has been a result of the hard work and dedication of our entire district staff. I have particularly been blessed with an amazing cabinet and leadership team who have been the driving force behind our achievements. It is because of our shared vision and the depth of talent throughout our school system that I feel confident in taking this next step in my professional career.
I have an amazing opportunity to replicate the work achieved in Ascension Public Schools across the country through NIET, yet I will be able to remain living right here in our beloved community. I will continue to support our schools in this new role, and look forward to watching a new generation of students flourish.
Thank you for your support over these many years and entrusting your children's education with Ascension Public Schools.
Patrice Pujol, Ed.D.
Ascension Public Schools