Charter School Application Process
Ascension Parish School Board 2017 District Charter School Application Process
for Schools Opening in the 2018-19 School Year or Beyond
Forms and Information Needed for Submission of a Type 1 or Type 3 Charter School Proposal
In compliance with R.S. 17:3982, the Ascension Parish School Board is making public through our website, and in printed form upon request, the guidelines for submitting a charter proposal, all forms required for submission of a charter proposal, the timelines established for accepting and reviewing charter proposals, the process that will be used to review charter proposals submitted to the board, and the name and contact information for a primary point of contact for charter proposals.
I. Charter School Application
Applicants should complete the 2017 Common Charter School Application found here.
The common application requires applicants to complete four documents – a charter proposal written in response to the questions posed in the common application, and a finances template, an eligibility form, and an overview template. Links to the latter three documents are embedded within the common charter application.
II. Charter School Process Schedule
- January 6, 2017: Deadline for District to release charter application
- January 31, 2017: Applicant must provide a Letter of Intent to the District Contact indicating their intent to apply for a charter. This letter should include grade configuration, year of opening, proposed location within the district (Donaldsonville, Prarieville, etc.) and contact information.
- February 24, 2017: Complete Application Packet due to the School Board. Partial applications will not be accepted after this date.
Applicants should email to Lisa.Bacala@apsb.org four common charter school application documents found at the link above – a charter proposal, a finances template, an eligibility form, and an overview template.
- May 2, 2017: General overview of the charter school application process presented to the School Board
- May 16, 2017: School Board to make decision to approve or deny charter applications
- June 1, 2017: Deadline for Communicating School Board decision to the State
III. Charter Application Review Process
All charter applications will be reviewed by an independent evaluator with educational, organizational, legal, and financial expertise. Applicants will have the opportunity to provide to the evaluator a written response to the independent evaluation of their charter application before the evaluator provides a final recommendation to the Ascension Parish School Board.
IV. Charter School Contact Information
Individuals or organizations with questions about the district's charter application process should contact:
Lisa Bacala, Director of Secondary Schools
Posted Dec. 19, 2016