Early College Option
QUICK LINKS: ADMISSIONS
Providing Opportunities for Students:
The Ascension Parish School Board and River Parishes Community College have partnered to create the Early College Option. This program is based on the early college high school model, which assumes that academic rigor, combined with the opportunity to save time and money, is a powerful motivator for students to work hard and meet serious intellectual challenges. Early College Option blends high school and college work in a rigorous yet supportive program, compressing the time it takes to complete both a high school diploma and an associate college degree.
Students attend high school on the campus of River Parishes Community College. Early College Option students will complete the TOPS Core Curriculum, and the state's LA University Diploma requirements. They will be able to dually enroll in college classes.
To prepare every student to become a successful 21st-century leader through rigorous academics and a supportive learning environment while providing the opportunity to earn both a high school diploma and an Associate’s Degree concurrently.
- A high level of academic engagement that encourages student initiative
- Establish high expectations and standards for improved student achievement
- Establish a nurturing culture that is rich with academic rigor
- Provide a safe and supportive school environment
- Build a community by upholding consistent standards, expectations, and routines
- Students will take all classes at RPCC. Students will be coded as a student at the high school in their attendance zone and will be eligible for participation in activities (probably limited) as it fits as well as activities such as Homecoming and Prom.
- The high school diploma will be awarded by the home-based school. Students who meet the high school requirements for graduation will graduate with their class at their home-based schools. The associate degree will be awarded by RPCC. Students who complete the requirements for RPCC graduation will have the opportunity to graduate with the RPCC class as well.
- Students who complete the requirements for the Associate of Arts Louisiana Transfer Degree will be eligible to transfer to a 4-year public university and enroll with Junior-level status. (To do so, the student must complete the 60 hours of prescribed college courses, with a minimum grade of “C” in each course.)
- Through this plan, tuition and textbooks are fully funded. Other fees may still apply. Thus, TOPS funding may be saved for future college expenses, such as advanced graduate studies.
While no specific scores are required to enroll in Early College Option, student qualification will be determined by, but not limited to: LEAP scores, grades, and GPA. Students who feel they may meet these requirements are welcome and encouraged to apply. Students will be expected to eventually take and meet the requirements for RPCC when the time comes to enroll in college level classes.
Students must be responsible to be successful in an “adult-oriented” environment. NOTE: A student support program (advising, mentoring and tutoring) will be developed that is tailored to meet the needs of the Early College Option’s specific population, with special emphasis on assisting students to meet CCR (College and Career Readiness) standards.
- Transportation will be provided by APSB using a “hub” approach during normal school hours on days APSB schools are in session. (Students can transport themselves.)
- Lunch will be provided (either for pay or Free and Reduced as appropriate to student need.)
- Tuition and textbooks will be funded by APSB. Students/parents will be responsible for registration and class-related fees.
- Students will be administered the necessary high school assessments at RPCC.
- Students will earn a high school diploma and a transferable associate degree while attending classes on the campus of RPCC.
LED BY PRINCIPAL DR. ROBYN SIMMONS AND ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL CYNTHIA JACKSON
Early College Program
River Parishes Community College
925 W. Edenborne Pkwy.
Gonzales, LA 70737
NUMBER: (225) 743-8747
SOCIAL MEDIA: Early College Option Facebook
Ascension Public Schools cooperates with community groups and organizations that sponsor activities of an educational/enrichment nature for students by distributing materials. As part of our efforts to be more environmentally friendly, embrace innovative technology, and maintain fiscal responsibility, we will transition from paper to electronic flyer delivery via Peachjar.